Tuesday, December 7, 2021

EOTO #2 Reflection- Influencers

After watching todays presentations, I wanted to reflect on the "online influencers" slides. This is a topic I find very interesting so when I saw someone was presenting on it I had to talk about it. I have always been baffled by the fact that some people can actually make millions from posting videos online. I think it's very unfair and an unreasonable industry that we put way too much focus on. Today I learned that it's actually a 13.8 billion dollar industry. This is so unreasonable to me because you have other industries that are actually so important to society that aren't even worth this much. Another interesting fact is that moms were the start of the influencer craze. I almost wish thats still all it was because now its so out of hand. 49% of people actually depend on influencers for recommendation on products. This is interesting to me because half of the time when an influencer is promoting a product they don't even use it. Its a brand deal and they're making a lot of money off of so most the time they don't care if it works or not. 



I think this has had such a negative effect on our society for a few reasons. Fist being that you now have kids growing up thinking they can do this as their profession which is very hard to do. It's led young people to do stupid things online just so they can get noticed. This is concerning because people are going too far and doing things that can potentially be dangerous all for the likes. The second reason influencers are negative is because of the comparisons young people (specifically girls) make to these influencers. What people including myself fail to realize sometimes is that these people spend their whole day focusing on their health, working out, making videos and for some getting surgery even. Society cannot compare themselves to these influencers because most of us don't have the time or money to do what they do. This can be detrimental for a young persons mental health. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Tap Dance: Smithtown's All New Local Café and Brewery

There's a new microbrewery and café in town and you need to know about it! The Tap Dance, Smithtown's newest place to hangout with e...